Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Heartbreak

Here's a story most artists will have encountered.
I spent most of yesterday crying.
I went into the studio yesterday morning to find the sculpture that had taken approx 300 hours & was close to complete collapsed on the floor.
It was a clay piece. I had been working with clay that was too soft, walls that were too think - well I am sure you can picture it, if you know much about clay work.
He was a magnificent dragon. The worst thing was I hadn't taken any photos. When this sort of thing happens you wish you had proof - look at all the hard work I did, the piece didn't work out but I did make it see my picture.
I spent a lot of time hearing the horror stories of others yesterday - they're like war wounds and I think every artist carries at least one. It's my first big one & I hope my last, but I'm sure that since I love working with clay it probably won't be the last!!

No comments: